Table of Contents
Installation and License
In the followings there are step by step instructions to install Firefly/Weaveworld environment and to request license.
Steps are given for Microsoft™ Windows™ operation systems, but they can be easily translated to Unix® platforms. See also the notes about Unix and Ubuntu.
- The visual Trace of the Firefly/Weaveworld uses the HTML5/WebGL, so a Graphics card is needed. (My computer has an onboard Graphic card, that works well).
- To use visual Trace on a mobile/tablet, you may have to install Firefox or Chrome.
- Browser automation needs a fast CPU, at least an i3.
Java JDK Install
- In order to run Firefly/Weaveworld you need Java™ 8 JDK on your computer that can be downloaded from the Oracle™'s site:
- Install the downloaded program
- (About installing Java on Ubuntu see the notes.)
- Note that only the client uses the browser's HTML5/WebGL 3D view. Using only the server or command line mode it is not necessary
- One can control the Firefly/WW even from a tablet/mobile (as a client) using an installed Firefox or Chrome
Unfortunatelly, Firefox sets off some WebGL features, by default (images are dim), so they have to be switched on.
about:configin the Location Bar (address bar) and press Enter
- Set the followings to
- On Windows (to enable Direct2D Content Acceleration)
- On Android (to enable StageFright software decoding)
Download and unzip
- Firstly, the Firefly/Weaveworld framework has to be downloaded to the target computer, from the following page:
Download and EULA
- Unzip the inner content into a folder, e.g.,
- → The zip file contains an inner
wwfolder, so the
C:/wwfolder will be created
- Check and modify initial SETs of the
_ww.bat) script file in the
SET JAVA="FULL_PATH_OF_THE_JAVA.EXE_OF_THE_JDK" SET WW_ROOT=C:\ww ...
- On Unix, set the '+x':
- chmod u+x ww/!.java/*.sh
- Now Firefly/Weaveworld is ready to the first start.
Without a license file, Firefly starts in the Personal Edition operational mode.
License can be requested using the information printed out by the Firefly's start.
Applying a valid license file switches on the Professional Edition.
First (mandatory) update and Running demos
License file has to be put into the 'ww/!.java' folder.
The installation kit contains only the base Weaveworld/ONCE components and the Firefly extension.
In order to make/run tests of Web applications (and, to enable internal builds), Firefly/Weaveworld needs additional libraries (such as Selenium WebDriver, SQLite, Maven, etc.), that are downloaded by the first update.
- In the 'ww/!.java' folder, please, start the '_wwupdate.bat' starter script file, if the computer is connected to the Internet.
- → '_wwupdate' downloads the necessary libraries and may updates the Firefly/Weaveworld components, too.
- Next update run has to show that there is no newer version
- After the update you can test the program using the '.js' and '.firefly.bpmn' files from the 'demo' folder, e.g.,
- !.java/ww.bat demo/hello.js?name=John
- !.java/wwserver.bat demo/search/search.firefly.bpmn;trace;run
If some problem occures during the update or if you need a prepackaged installation kit, please, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Installing Eclipse and BPMN2 Modeler
The Firefly/Weaveworld environment can seamlessly work together with the famous free Eclipse development platform.
Eclipse and the BPMN2 plugin can be used the work with bpmn diagrams and create diagram images (for the graphical trace).
The Eclipse development environment is easy to install just to download and unzip the file.
Eclipse IDE for Java EE Developersfrom
https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/ and Unzip the file
- You can create a shortcut of eclipse.exe to your Desktop; you may rename it as
Eclipseusing the shortcut
- (You may consider to use the empty
Follow the steps below to install the free BPMN2 Modeler Eclipse plugin:
- Choose the
Install New Softwaremenu
- Copy the BPMN2 Modeler eclipse update site link into the
- Choose one version from http://download.eclipse.org/bpmn2-modeler/updates/
- currently the latest one for Mars.2 is the v1.2.4
- Type a name such as
BPMN2 Modelerand Click
Next(This step may run for a while to compute
- Click Next buttons and Accept License Agreements until it starts installation
- Following the prompt's instruction, restart Eclipse
- It's highly important that
Window / Preferences
General / Workspace
Text file encodinghas to be set to
- It's highly important that
Window / Preferences
BPMN2 / Editor / Behavior
Maximum text field lengthhas to be set to
(otherwise scripts and documentations will be truncated)
- You may consider to switch on
Show ID on BPMN2 elementscheckbox
in order to find errors easier.
Now you can open a
.bpmn file just drag&drop it to the eclipseBPMN icon on your Desktop, or if the eclipse is already opened then drop it to window of the Eclipse. After modifications and Save (Ctrl-S) the
bpmn can be started by the Firefly/Weaveworld.
Installing 'MaryTTS' TextToSpeech
Firefly/Weaveworld's Presenter can cooporate with a TextToSpeech system, that is currently set to 'MaryTTS' (see http://mary.dfki.de/)
You have only to
- download MaryTTS from the http://mary.dfki.de/download/index.html
- install the program (or simply extract the files)
- During install you may want to get some additional voice files
- Additional voice files can be simple put into the 'lib' folder
- set the MARY_BASE environment variable to point to the main folder
- Firefly/Weaveworld's Presenter uses only some jar files of the 'lib' subfolder
ww/!.java/bin/!.system/org.weaveworld.Sayfolder has a
- The LOCALs has to be an IETF BCP 47 language tag string.
- The VOICEs' jar files has to be exist in the MARY_BASE/lib folder
- Current voice pair settings are:
'Nailing' the Java, Eclipse, etc. installation
You may consider to copy the needed applications to the “ww/!.java/app” folder. This way one single folder contains all the necessary files and programs. You can zip (without the license file) this folder for archive purposes. The zip can be used as a preinstalled kit: one can just unzip it to another computer of the same OS and use it with the computer's license file.
- (You may consider to copy or move the JDK's folder from
ww/!.java/appto 'nail' Java to the Firefly/Weaveworld environment (so it can be copied to another computers) - see 'Notes')
- (You may consider to extract 'Eclipse' into the
ww/!.java/appfolder. This way you 'nail' your Eclipse installation to the Firefly/Weaveworld environment, so you can copy it to another computers.)
- (If the JDK is 'nailed' to the Weaveworld/Firefly, you have to change the
-vmargsparameter and add
-vmargument according to your Java installation, for example:
-vm C:/ww/!.java/app/jdk1.8.0_74/bin/javaw.exe -vmargs -Dosgi.requiredJavaVersion=1.8
Additional settings on Windows
- You may consider to create shortcut on your Desktop pointing to the
ww/!.java/wwserver.batstarter script, so it could be started clicking to it right from your Desktop
- You may consider to create file associations
so these files can be easily started by clicking to them
- If you currently work with some
.jsprograms, you may consider to create shortcuts for them to your Desktop, so they could be started clicking to them from your Desktop
''Selenium'' is a browser automation framework, what can be used to develop automatic tests of Web Applications, or even to program some Web-based tasks.
The Firefly/Weaveworld testing environment controls browsers with the help of Selenium WebDriver libraries. Additionaly, Firefly has a high level 'wrapper', what simulates some typical human interaction and control, so it is much easier to develop tests of highly dynamic (AJAX-based) Web pages.
The famous SeleniumIDE works as a Firefox plugin and is able to record some control on web pages. Firefly does not need
SeleniumIDE, however this IDE can be a great help.
- Furthermore, Firefly/Weaveworld can invoke saved SeleniumIDE Test Scripts ('.firefly.htm' files), but can perform only a reduced set of Selenium commands.
- One convenient feature is that SeleniumIDE can show several versions of XPath expressions or other 'selectors' of elements, what is essential on highly dynamic pages.
SeleniumIDEis mentioned on the Selenium's general download page.
- Plugin versions can be found in a Web accessible folder.
- From a Firefox Web browser clicking to the
.xpifile, the plugin is to be installed.
- After a browser restart the plugin is ready to be used.
- Clicking the appeared 'Se' icon on the browser starts immediately the action-recording.
Java JDK on Ubuntu
On Ubuntu you may want to follow this guide. The steps are basically the next ones:
- for Default JDK
- sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install default-jdk
- for OpenJDK
- sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk
- for Oracle JDK
sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install python-software-properties sudo add-apt-repository ppa:webupd8team/java sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install oracle-java8-installer
- Managing Java installations:
sudo update-alternatives --config java
- Managing Java Compiler installations:
sudo update-alternatives --config javac
Starting Firefly/Weaveworld from Eclipse
Additionaly, the Firefly/Weaveworld starter scripts (
wwserver.bat) can be set as
- Choose the menu
Run / External tools / External tool configurations
- Click the
New launch configurationicon
- On the Main tab
- Set Name to
- Set Location to
- Set Working Directory to
- Set Arguments to
- On the Refresh tab
- Set Refresh resources upon completion
to the third
The project containing… choice
- On the Common tab
- Set Encoding to
- Finally, Click Close
Now, having an opened
.js file in Eclipse, you can start it directly by clicking the
External Tools icon, selecting the
wwserver and click
(Note that Firefly/Weaveworld as an Eclipse External Tool has less priority in scheduling, e.g., the graphical trace may produce lagging.)